Author’s discussion questions for book clubs:
- The Phoenix Police Department and the Villalobos cartel are paramilitary organizations on opposite sides of the law. How are they similar?
- Detective Cruz’s mother hides a huge secret from her daughter that could possibly jeopardize her. Why would a loving mother withhold such important information?
- Did you find yourself craving Mexican food and/or margaritas while reading this book?
- What makes this story unique to an urban desert environment? Could it be moved to another venue?
- Why is it important for those in law enforcement to hold themselves to a higher standard? Is this truly possible, or is it an illusion?
- How do different cultures celebrate the coming of age? When do you consider a child to be an adult?
- What are your thoughts about the immigrant experience in the U.S.?
- Were there parts of the story that challenged you? Why?